Thursday, October 2, 2008

Summer Tunes Version 2008



Time Magazine recently released their list of the top songs of summer 2008. I don't know about you, but for as long as I can remember, songs have been my auditory scrapbook marking major events (the minor ones, too) in my life. For example the first time I kissed a boy (Jason Nolan, grade 8, "Pour Some Sugar on Me" - Def Leppard); the first time I got drunk ("Little Bones" - The Tragically Hip); my first boyfriend ("Dream On" - Aerosmith - that wasn't on the radio by that time, just a song on a mixed tape I liked); the first time I slow-danced with a boy and could feel some *ahem* swelling in his 'nether' regions ("More Than Words" - Extreme); my first job ("Enter Sandman" - Metallica); my wedding song ("Forever" - Ben Harper)...well, you get the picture. Back to Time's list...

Here are the songs they selected:

1. Kid Rock "All Summer Long"
I can see where this song may have nabbed top spot. The title for starters. The song is annoyingly catchy. To listen to it, makes me feel v. old, however. Kid is singing about the summer on 1989. I totally remember that summer. I remember listening to songs like "Jack & Diane", "Summer of '69", and "Born in the U.S.A"; the artists would sing about the 'good ol' days' and wonder about past loves and old friends. I would hear these lyrics and think, "Wow...these guys are singing about a time before I was born." Now, I'm very aware that kids are listening to this song thinking the same thing. Anyhow, Kid Rock is using a rif from Lynard Skynard, but I'm cool with that. Rap artists borrow tracks all the time, right? Not sure about the #1 position, but this song belongs on the list.

2. Rihanna "Disturbia"
Kudos to Rihanna for an amazing MTV Awards performance. In case you missed it, 'Youtube' it. She performed this song, and delivered. I was at a wedding last week, and this song came on, and I danced my ass off. Great song. Enough said. I just wish I knew all the words.

3. Usher "Love in this Club"
Have you heard this song? It's about this guy who is at a club and wants to fuck a hot chick. Are you kidding?? Since when is that even remotely catchy as a song? I saw Usher perform this song on SNL, and I was just imagining Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers yuking it up. How can you sing lyrics like "It's goin' down on aisle 3, I'll bag you like some groceries" and be serious? Is that was the clubbers are doing these days? Fucking in clubs on the dance floor? I just cannot take this guy seriously, and I am incredulous that this song ranked.

4. Estelle "American Boy"
This song is mediocrity at it's best. Sounds like something you'd hear over the loudspeaker at Garage Clothing or Abercrombie & Fitch. The music producers do not have me in mind as a target audience for this little ditty. When this song plays on the radio, I promptly change it. 

5. T.I. "No Matter What"
I honestly have no clue about this song. I listened to a clip of it on iTunes, but I cannot impart any wisdom here. So...good pick? Bad pick? Talk amongst yourselves.

6. Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love"
I like this song. Each time the chorus hits, I try to bring my baritone singing voice to match her falsetto-like sound, and fail miserably. The lyrics are a bit dramatic. Very Shakespearian tragedy, but come on people...we're in the 21st century in North America. Are "they" really keeping you from being with the one you love? Really? I think Leona needs to grow a pair and go after her man, or else she's likely to bleed to death.

7. L'il Wayne "A Milli"
In the wise words of Chris Rock, "I love rap. I hate defending it." This is a great track and should be higher than number 7. The beat is amazing. So much so, that the lyrics are tolerable. 

8. Pussycat Dolls "When I Grow Up"
When I grow up, I wanna know that the Pussycat Dolls were a bad dream and exist only in some Bizarro universe. This song is absolute shite.

9. Coldplay "Viva la Vida"
Great song. Great album. Yes, I know that's a predictable analysis from me, but I love U2, and isn't that who Coldplay are? Just a U2 reincarnate? Regardless...this song is never far from my play button.

10. Katy Perry "I Kissed a Girl"
I was hoping this song would make it. I was dying to talk about it, and I almost want to do a whole blog entry on it. The trend a few years ago for teen girls was to be slutty, and stupid, and basically little Paris Hilton disciples. Now, it seems the trend is to be gay. Look at Lindsay Lohan, then this song...Katy Perry is smart, though. She knew it'd catch on, since being gay is the new black. I wonder how many young girls are trying this one out? I'll keep it short, but I guess this is the epitome of pop. Where will this one-hit wonder be next year? 

Well, I am disappointed in Time's selections. What about Madonna, M.I.A., The Killers, The Verve? I miss those summers past, laden with the Chilli Peppers, Sublime, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees...a new generation is here.

No comments: