Thursday, October 23, 2008

I heart MLVC...



I've been a bit preocc'd this past week, hence the late review of what was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. Ready?
The girls and I showed up at 7:30 p.m. (the tix indicated show start of 8:00 p.m.), so that gave us enough time for souvenirs, and time to get to our seats. Madonna didn't come on stage until 9:30. She had no opnening act, per se, but there was a DJ there entertaining us for about 45 minutes. When the show finally started, the intro was this crazy digital short displaying a pinball-candy type video game...kinda cool. The she came out. Emerged from a enormous cube-like structure, and started singing "Candy Shop." I was completely overcome with emotion...I was a screaming mad-woman who sounded like she had just won the lottery. In my mind, at that time, I kinda had. She was impressive as ever, executing her dance moves flawlessly whilst wearing her Louboutin stiletto boots; unbelievable! She followed that up with "The Beat Goes On" which included on-screen cameos of both Mr. West and Pharrell. The big shocker was "Human Nature." Madge was singing, and dancing, but Britney (my "other" Madonna) was on-screen the entire time singing and in a kind of pseudo-vid. I was ecstatic...really! I think Britney is to Madonna what Coldplay is to U2...all good. The rest of the set was in this order:

Vogue, Video Interlude - Die Another Day, Into The Groove, Heartbeat, Borderline (great hard-rock version), She’s Not Me, Music, Video Interlude - Rain/Here Comes The Rain Again, Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You, Spanish Lesson, Miles Away (for the emotionally retarded), La Isla Bonita/Lela Pala Tute, Doli Doli (Live interlude - Romanian folk song), You Must Love Me, Video Interlude - Get Stupid (About saving the planet, and she compares McCain to Hitler, and Obama to Mandela), 4 Minutes, Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light, Hung Up, and Give It To Me (Finale). 

The high point of the night was definitely, "Like a Prayer." It's my favourite Madonna song, and she completely killed it. I had tears streaming down my face as she was belting out the lyrics. What can I say? I felt something. It was truly a spiritual moment for me. All those years of pure fandom, and now she was performing that song live...Her voice certainly brought me there. Just thinking of it makes me want to drink a Pepsi. I guess old campaigns die hard, right?!

My only 'less than' comment for the evening was that she was, without a doubt, delivering a business product. Consumers had paid a lot of money to see her perform, and perform she did. Flawlessly. With perfection. Seamless. She even double-dutched without making a mistake for Christ's sake! She made good on her promise of an unforgettable, AMAZING show. However, she didn't look like she was having fun. Nary a smile crossed her face (save for those of the ersatz variety). I don't buy that it was because she and Mr. Madonna are splitting up. It may be news to us, but at this stage for her, probably a relief. I think once you've reached a certain level, you can disassociate yourself from the audience, and perfect what you're paid for: a performance. 

Regardless, I still had one of the best times of my life. So did the bikini-clad dude who was sitting in my section, but got upgraded to front row for dressing in costume. Oh, to be young, male, homosexual, and in drag at a Madonna show...

No comments: