Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My sugar is raw...



"Ladies and gentlemen...please welcome back to Toronto....the Material Girl herself....MADONNA!!!" Pandemonium. Screaming. Crying. I've waited my entire life for this moment. 
Let me start from the beginning. It's 1984-ish, and I'm at that musical crossover point of my childhood where Raffi and the Smurfs are no longer cutting it for me. I want more. I start listening to the radio (when my Mom's not playing Hall & Oates or the Alan Parsons Project), which is when I discover Madonna. It's love at first listen. Then much to my entire family's dismay, it's love at first sight. I wanted to be her. I started dressing like her (as much as I could...I mean I was 8), and singing her songs, and dying to see her movies ("Desperately Seeking Susan" was my favourite movie I'd never seen until 1990). I dreamed of seeing her in concert. But alas...it was never to be part of the plan of my childhood. She was never interested in visiting Ottawa early in her career (or ever, for that matter). 

My Dad started taking me to concerts when I was 9...Whitney Houston, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, Glass Tiger, The Beach Boys. I guess those early days really set the stage for me loving live music. I've been to almost three dozen concerts in my three decades of life, and there are still so many artists to see. A sampling of artists I have seen: Prince, Janet Jackson, Everclear, Lauren Hill, The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, U2 (x6), Backstreet Boys (x7), New Kids on the Block (in 1990), Powderfinger, Jet, Nickelback, Aerosmith, The White Stripes, Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones...so you have an idea. My tastes are varied. I have a wish list of artists I would love to see: Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Andrea Bocelli, U2 (can't ever get enough of them...their concerts are totally different with each tour), Kanye West, Britney Spears, Michel Bubble, Frank Sinatra Jr....and Madge herself.

Right...kind of went off there. So, pretty much for 25 years, I've been waiting to see Madonna in concert. The stars have aligned, and I'm heading to the ACC this weekend to see her Sticky & Sweet Tour. I'm going with some girlfriends, and this is like fucking Christmas!! Seeing her live is on my life's to-do list. 

Before this post becomes any more redundant, let's summarize: This weekend, Toronto, girlfriends, Madonna concert. The only thing that could possibly make this weekend better is if I floor seats to see the Raps (although, reg. season is still weeks away). Maybe dinner out with Clooney, Craig and Di Caprio, too. I'm packed and ready to go. Have the song order for the concert memorized, I've learned most of the new songs, and I have an appropriate condolence for her failed marriage (you know...just in case she decides to open  up to me).

HOLY SHIT...I'M GOING TO SEE MADONNA THIS WEEKEND!!!!

I'll give a concert review once I'm down from cloud 9.

No comments: