Saturday, October 25, 2008

Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens...



Last month I was at Starbucks with a couple of girlfriends, and they hinted that every once in a while, I should periodically blog about some of my favourite things. After I got over my Oprah complex, I thought the idea was pretty good. My mum and I talk almost every day, and I would venture to say that at least three times per week, we're sharing "product reviews." I love hearing about a product from someone in my inner circle. If the product gets a good review from a trusted source, I'll go right out and get it for myself. If not, that's equally as helpful. I can't guarantee that this piece will be a regular feature, but I'll try my best. So, Nance and Kate - this one's for you!

If you take a gander at the photo up top, you'll see a mish-mash of items. Those, my friends, are my current favourite things. I'll go through each one with as much detail as I can (i.e. item name, cost, store where puchased, colour, taste, and anything else that may help). Clockwise from the top:

1. Santa Cruz Organic Ginger Ale
USDA Approved Organic, 355 mL, puchased @ Superstore, $0.99 + taxes
This little taste sensation is the best ginger ale I have ever had. Schweppes, Canada Dry, Sussex, and any others are put to shame. It has that great ginger taste without the mouth-puckering/sinus-clearing after-effect of traditional Jamaican ginger beer. It even has a pretty picture of a ginger flower on the can...awww. Added bonus: you can almost see your carbon footprint begin to disappear because, "100% of the electricity used to make this product is offset with renewable certificates." 

2. "Who Will Cry When You Die? Life Lessons from the Monk Who Sold his Ferrari" by Robin Sharma
225 p., 1999, HarperCollins, $16.95, Chapters
This book is invaluable. It was given to me as a gift, and I have read it many times, and reference it frequently. Each of the lessons (there are 101 in total) have held different meanings for me throughout the past 3 years. His teachings center me and calm  my mind. This book is something you will treasure forever. 

3. Moe's Broadway Bagel
Only available in select Colorado cities. www.moesbagel.com
If you love bagels, this place is pure nirvana. If you ever find yourself in Denver or Boulder, do go. The bagels are fresh, tasty, and they actually melt in your mouth. It's almost worth the plane fare alone just to eat there. Like their tag line says, "Only the best get baked." True dat. Speaking of which, I sometimes miss being 25.

4. Trident Splash - Orange Swirl
9 pieces, blister pack only, $1.29, purchased at Sobey's
This gum tastes exactly like an orange creamsicle. True story: when I was younger, I used to wonder why companies never made orange-flavoured gum. I think Trident actually did circa '82, but I can't be sure. Anyhoo, if you're chemical-conscious, this gum isn't for you as it contains all the 'tols' (Malitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol, and everyone's favourite: aspartame). If you're like me though, you could give a rat's ass; so chew away! You won't be sorry. Oh, in case you were not aware, the "Splash" means there's liquid in the middle of the gum. I used to be a "Freshen Up" fan, so I actually don't mind it.

5. MAC Plushglass "Oversexed"
Purchased at MAC Eaton Centre, $21.00, 4.2 mL
This shade is a dark purple in the bottle (which is why I was instantly drawn to it), but upon application, it's quite muted, and suitable for everyday use. The gloss does not go on sticky, like the old MAC formulations, and has a pleasant minty vanilla taste. It also has Vitamin E for that little bit of added protection (do you really care?). I love it, but if you're not into the purple palette (this is sheer, but you can still see a hint of it), this isn't for you. 

6. Sephora Ultra-shine Lip Gloss "20"
Purchased at Sephora Rideau Centre, $14.00, 0.13 fl. oz.
On the other hand, if you're into barely-there colour, this one's for you. It wears off quickly, but gives you that "fresh" look. It smells like grapes, or strawberries...hard to tell. This is always in my purse, and no matter your skin tone, you'll look great.

7. Red Beaded bracelet
Purchased on sale at a store in Brooklin, ON; reg. $20.00 ea., bought for $6.99 ea.
These red and black beads are made of glass with enamel paint, and strung together on an elastic tie. I love anything red or purple these days. Ninety percent of my wardrobe is black, so I love finding accessories that accentuate my outfit. These were just one of those fluke finds, so I guess what I'm saying is never stop looking. You'll find something you love in the most unlikely places. If you're lucky, it'll be on sale.

8. MAC Nail Lacquer Frost "Perplexing"
Purchase at MAC Eaton Centre, $13.00
Surprise! It's purple. Not a colour for the cosmetically unadventurous. This is a dark, rich purple, and if you've used MAC nail lacquer before, you know that it wears amazingly well. The lacquer (as always) contains UV protection for your nails (gotta hate those nail sunburns). It reeks, but if you're using nail polish, I'm guessing you're expecting it. This colour is no longer available on the website (I just checked). So, too bad suckas! 

Anyhow, hope this list was helpful. If not, hopefully enjoyable. If not...well, maybe you should reference lesson #16 in Robin Sharma's book.

No comments: