Thursday, January 22, 2009

Time-Defining News...

This past Tuesday was unforgettable. It marked the inauguration of the first black president of the United States of America (and the first competent President in 2 terms), Barack Obama. Those of you who know me, know that I've been on the Obama Obandwagon for some time now...so Tuesday was a day I won't ever forget. Even BB1 (on my prompting, of course) was running around saying, "Bama, Bama, Bama" for most of Tuesday night. I will forever remember Tuesday, January 20, 2009; What I was doing (working, but watching the inauguration in a large meeting room at work), what I was wearing (black skinny pants, black and grey colour-block wrap, and knee-high flat boots overtop of my pants), and the weather (damn cold!). 
This monumental event got me thinking about all past events that have occurred in my lifetime where I can place myself, and what I was doing at the moment that they occurred. 
Caveat nit-pickers: Just because I may have left out an event that was very important or world-changing between the years of 1976 - 2009 does NOT mean I did not/do not deem it important. It simply means that I cannot place myself specifically when it happened. 

I'll start with the earliest event and work my way forward...

1. January 28, 1986, The Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster
This was my first memory of disaster. I can picture the video of the shuttle exploding vividly, but more disturbing to me, rather than that image, was that Christa McAuliffe had died. As a little girl, I remember being horrified at the fact that she had 2 kids at home - I had nightmares for weeks thinking of my own Mother's mortality. I actually still have the front page of The Ottawa Citizen from that date.

2. November 9, 1989, The Collapse of the Berlin Wall
I remember watching this with my grandparents, who are Eastern-Euro immigrants. They were speechless. I was trying to gauge how happy these people were to finally be free to pass between East and West Germany, and that their country was finally reunited...but honestly, I just didn't "get" it. Of course, I understand now, as an adult, but I remember being puzzled that the wall was allowed to go up in the first place.

3. December 6, 1989, Ecole Polytechnique Massacre
I had religion right after lunch that day. It was freezing, and snowing outside. As we took our seats in class, our normally chipper and jovial religion/music/English teacher walked in, and somberly talked to us about what had happened, and fielded ANY questions we had about it, about how we felt, and I remember her saying that we could cry about it, too. That last 10 or 20 minutes of class were spent with the lights off, and her leading us in silent prayer.

4. January 16, 1991, Operation Desert Storm
I was at home extremely sick with the flu that entire week, and I think my little 13-inch black & white television was on the entire time. I would doze in and out of sleep and wonder whether or not this conflict was even real. Considering that the Operation was successful in the expulsion of Iraqi troops from Kuwait, it was fantastic to have been able to witness (albeit, thousands of miles away, watching t.v., tucked safely into my waterbed).

5. April 8, 1994, Kurt Cobain is found dead at age 27
I had just gotten home from Track practice, and was on the phone with a friend of mine who said, "So Kurt Cobain, eh?" I had no idea what he was talking about and assumed he was talking about In Utero because he knew how much I loved the album. He went on to explain that he was found by an electrician and there was a suicide note. I was shocked. I was angry. I remember hearing that once Frances Bean was born, he went out and bought a Volvo because it was the safest car on the road. What a fucking hypocrite...why bother? I remember thinking on my 27th (many, many years after 1994) birthday that it was crazy that he was in such a dark place that the only way out was death...I was in such a different mindset. Maybe he would have been happier working 9-5  at a 3rd-party benefits administration company as a Customer Service Representative?

6. June 17, 1994, O.J. Simpson Low-Speed chase in White Bronco
A bunch of us were at a house party. We were drinking our faces off, and the music was blaring, and everyone was having a good time. Someone switched on the television, and soon after, the music died, people stopped drinking, and we were glued to the screen. We were incredulous that the Po-Po couldn't/wouldn't catch the Bronco considering it was traveling so slowly. I believe that this was the first sensationalized news story that I can remember. No the date of the verdict is not on my list. Don't remember that date at all.

7. August 31, 1997, Princess Diana dies in a Car Crash in Paris
It was the morning after my step-sister's bachelorette party. We (a bunch of girls) woke up in our hotel suite, and turned on the television, and every station was carrying the story. She had been in a car accident in the Pont d'Alumet tunnel in Paris, France, and had died hours later. The news stations kept playing that surveillance tape of her a Dodi Al-Fayed coming out of the revolving doors, and rushing into the back seat of their black Benz. It looked strange to see footage of her mere minutes before that fatal accident.

8. Tuesday, April 20, 1999, Columbine High School Massacre
This is the first of 2 stories on this list that scared me because I thought a member of family was a victim. My favourite Aunt, Uncle and cousins lived not far from where the massacre took place. I knew my older cousin was no longer in high school at that time, but I wasn't so sure about the younger one. I called my Mom and was crying asking her if Tif had been a student at that school. She said no, and then a bunch of other things that I don't remember (I think she said she had already started college)...I was just so relieved that my family wasn't affected directly. It pains me to think of how many frantic calls were placed that didn't end with cries of relief.

9. December 31, 1999, Y2K
As always, another New Year's Eve lunch bag letdown. I spent it at a party in the basement of a church (no, it wasn't a religious party...just happened to be in a church), with an ex-boyfriend I dumped soon after and a group of friends (his friends) that I no longer talk to. What's that chorus from that Prince song..."Tonight we're Gonna party like it's 1999."? Must've been the worst fucking party EVER. Maybe Prince was warning potential party go-ers not to go. If you ever get a call from me saying that "I'm partying like it's 1999"...DON'T COME OVER. THE PARTY SUCKS.

10. September 11, 2001, Bombing of the Twin Towers
This is the second of 2 stories when I thought a family member was a victim. The day started off memorably beautiful. I was up at sunrise, and went for a walk. I stopped by a Tim's on the way home, and drank my tea on a park bench admiring the Ottawa River. I got home (and no joke...) I remember thinking that the day could not get any better, and was walking around with a smile on my face. I got a cryptic call from a friend saying, "Turn on the television. Bye." So I did, and that's when I saw the footage of the first plane hit the  North Tower. I was paralyzed. Minutes later, the second plane hit the South tower. I called my Mom, crying and asking if our cousin (who was working out of one of the Towers at that time) was okay. She didn't know. Our entire family was trying to get in touch with Maria, but with no luck. My Mom came over to my place later that day and we just cried and cried. My Grandmother called saying that Maria had phoned her and was okay. She was on a golf course all day somewhere in Kentucky with clients.

10. December 26, 2004, Asian Tsunami
Rightly or wrongly, I have never been afraid of the water. When I saw video images of the waves hitting the beach, I was petrified. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to figure out what else to say about it, and cannot. 

11. January 16, 2009, Miracle on the Hudson
Everything about this story is miraculous! What are the chances of hitting a flock of Canadian Geese (I don't think it's common, but maybe I'm wrong)? What are the chances that Cpt. C.B. Sullenberger would successfully land an Airbus A320 in water? What are the chances that everyone on board would escape with their lives? The photo of everyone standing on the wings of the aircraft is unbelievable. 

If I had to define my life by way of World news, the previous 12 entries (The Obama Inauguration wasn't numbered, but would be #12) would be it. I wonder what the next 12 entries will be?




 

No comments: