Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What this Dragon learned in the Year of the Rat...

Wow...it's December 31st already! I don't know about anyone else, but this past December felt like it didn't happen at all. I'm sitting in my kitchen, on this, my 33rd New Year's Eve...me and my Baby Daddy just feasted on lobster and salad; BB1 is in bed, and Mr. Marley is snoring at my feet as I type this. We don't have plans to go out tonight; in fact, I'm already in my pyjamas. I'm very relaxed, and ready to usher out 2008 and welcome 2009 in this very peaceful state of mind. 

According to the Chinese zodiac calendar, the Year of the Rat is the first sign of the 12 cycles in the Chinese calendar. Apparently, in the Year of the Rat, we can typically expect 12 months of plentiful opportunities and prospects not to mention relatively little turbulence (noteworthy especially if you're planning to make some long-term investments, starting new projects, etc.). Also, it's a great time to socialize and grab a sumptuous meal (or many!) with family or friends. Guess the ancient prophecies were a wee bit off for 2008. No need to get into much detail, but this past year, from a business perspective was extremely turbulent. I work for one of the "Big 3" insurance companies here in Canada, and we were advised shortly before Christmas that the company  is implementing a hiring freeze, not granting any pay increases for anyone in 2009, and will be 'trimming the fat', so to speak (not jobs, but the extras like travel, excessive office supplies, etc.). This is so not the direction I wanted this blog to go tonight. Re-directing...
So, what did I learn this year? Here's a list, in no particular order:

1. Don't get too attached to things you buy in stores. Especially when there are babies or dogs in your home who unintentionally ruin things on a regular basis (1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of Lululemon yoga pants, 2 books, 1 flip-flop, 1 Subway sandwich, 1 ball cap...but who's counting, right Marley?)
2. When/If you have a child, you WILL turn into one of those parents who gush endlessly. 
3. People understand and don't judge you if your toddler has a bruise-covered face.
4. Your marriage is your number one priority. No exceptions.
5. Heath Ledger died much too young. 
6. Barack Obama is going to change his country, and the World will follow.
7. Colorado is just as beautiful as I remembered from 1988.
8. Being skinny does not mean you're healthy and balanced - usually the exact opposite.
9. My husband swept me off my feet as my once-boyfriend, renders me flabbergasted as a fantastic spouse, and seeing him as a tremendous Dad to our boy is impressive, inspirational, and frequently leaves me choked up.
10. Do what you have to do to do what you want to do.
11. Life is too short for false pretenses.
12. Amy Winehouse is scary to look at.
13. My family (B-D, BB1, and any others who will end up here with us!) is my focus. 
14. I still really, really, really like cooking!!
15. I love anything that contains ginger.

Well, I guess that it for now. I'm sending you a giant e-hug, and wish you more love and peace than you can handle for 2009. Onto the year of the Ox...Gung Hay Fat Choy!

No comments: