Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Kindle Schmindle Bo-Bindle...


For the past few months, my gift wish list has consisted of one thing: an Amazon Kindle. I first saw the device unveiled on the Oprah show (where else?!). As of today, I had been gifted enough funds to be able to purchase my little bundle of plastic. So, after my workout tonight, I bounded up the stairs, logged on to amazon.com, and was rendered more breathless than my Spinning hill intervals..."Kindle does not ship to Canadian customers." I beg your pardon?? I frantically located the Kindle support line, where a nice chap named Azzie answered my questions. As it turn out, even though I have family in the Mile-High City that would gladly mail me the device, once in Canada, I couldn't use the download function unless I had a US billing address as well as a US credit card. There are currently no plans to bring the Kindle to Canada, but that's what they said about iPhone too. What is it with Canada getting stiffed with all the gadgets? My parents, my husband, and I'm sure my kids will end up the same way, too, are all gear geeks. I know that the Kindle will eventually head North, but I'm a Gen Xer...I want it now!!! The up-side to all this is that by the time Canada does get the Kindle, it will likely be second or third-generation, and most of the first-gen issues and kinks will be obsolete. 
You think I'm spoiled, don't you? Don't make me go Steve Williams on your ass. I'm really not. To prove it, I just took an on-line, "Are you Spoiled" quiz...here are my results:
 You Score: 35. What does this mean? You seem to be a little spoiled. It would not hurt you to buy something for yourself, just so that you could spoile yourself. Feel proud of the fact you got yourself where you are mostly by your own effort (even if it is a cardboard box!). Average score: 36.
See? Not spoiled. I paid for my own university (and finished, ...Col - c'mon dude, it's one more credit...put on your big boy hat and finish that bitch off already!), my own vehicles, trips, living in different cities, rent, house...you name it! Pretty much the same week I graduated university, my Dad and Step-mother said, "Congrats! Now until you move out, we expect rent!" Sounds a little harsh, but it wasn't at all. My parents (all 4 of them) ingrained in me two things: 1. Get educated. No marriage, no doing anything until you have that piece of paper. 2. Get yourself a stable, full-time job, and make sure you can support yourself - ALWAYS. Pretty good lessons. Once I was out of the house, I was self-sufficient - and proud of it. Sure there were some potholes along the way, but how else are you supposed to learn? I remember my Dad and Step-Mom taking me out for lunch soon after I graduated and they asked me what I wanted to do, and I truly did not know. They both looked at me and said, "We've watched you grow up, and we see what kind of values you have, and that you're strong and independent. Whatever you do - you're going to do well." That really meant a lot. Still does. 
WOAH. Where did that all come from? Quite a tangent, that. Well, I bid you all goodnight. I am off to bed, and am going to kick it old-school with a bound copy of Austen's "Persuasion." Caio.

Oh, and as a post-script, Amazon is sold out of the Kindle until at least March 2009. 

No comments: